Welcome to our blog!

Hello, www grammar experts, soon to become short story authors!

Remember to post at least once a week for the first four weeks' worth of assignments. I'm planning to read short stories and write my thoughts, as well.

I'm looking forward to reading all your observations!

Mrs. Wong

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The little mystery

By E. C.Bent

this story started with the main character driving home. on his way there he sees an old Friend on his way and offers a ride home. On the way to his friend's apartment she tells him of some odd things that have been happening at her house lately when she is gone. Trent becomes interested in this case and started some investigations.

It looks to me as if this story was written in limited third person. the writer uses mainly simple dialogue tags (he said, she replied, they answered, ect) and not a whole lot of dialogue brackets.

A few pieces of dialogue from the book: "Well, you will see him, whether you want to or not," she said in a low tone as the door opened, and a tall, gaunt man, black bearded, came out.

"Well, I have an idea-I don't know if you'll call it a bright one-about where you can lay hands on your man. But it means more tragedy for someone, if I am right."
"It'll mean tragedy for you, my lad, if you connive the escape of a dangerous criminal," the inspector said briskly, drawing up his chair to the table . "come on; let's hear it" Trent let him hear it.

1 comment: