Welcome to our blog!

Hello, www grammar experts, soon to become short story authors!

Remember to post at least once a week for the first four weeks' worth of assignments. I'm planning to read short stories and write my thoughts, as well.

I'm looking forward to reading all your observations!

Mrs. Wong

Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Golden Touch by Nathaniel Hawthorne

I was unable to do the blog the first couple of weeks, so to catch up, this entry focuses on characterization.

I've always liked this story because of the contrast in the different characters. There is the wise stranger, the innocent daughter and the greedy King. The protagonist is King Midas and the antagonist is not a character, but the king's greed. The only thing he cares more for than money and treasure is his sweet and caring young daughter, Marygold. The author does not describe the characters physical appearances but leave it to the reader's imagination. The character's are revealed through dialogue and the author's opinion. The story takes you through the king's daily life to expose his true greed while also showing his tender and loving side that is only brought out by Marygold. Later in the story we learn what is truly valuable.

-Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment