Welcome to our blog!

Hello, www grammar experts, soon to become short story authors!

Remember to post at least once a week for the first four weeks' worth of assignments. I'm planning to read short stories and write my thoughts, as well.

I'm looking forward to reading all your observations!

Mrs. Wong

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Medieval Romance

All I can say is Mark Twain has a very interesting way of describing his characters.

I was reading a story called Medieval Romance by mark twain and its like reading the Old King James version of the Bible. (With all the "thees and thous, and haths") There really isn't a protagonist. Its more a set of unfortunate circumstances that cause the plot to thicken. And also because the main character, or antagonist, is a girl pretending to be a boy. If she's caught, then the punishment for and being an uncrowned woman Ducal ruler is death. But in the end, its implied that she/he gets killed anyway because a woman guilty of adultery names her, Conrad (who is pretending to be a boy) the father. She was mad because Conrad, wasn't attracted to her when she adored him. Even though its kinda tricky to understand, the way Mark Twain describes his characters sucks you into the story.

~Emily

1 comment: