This is a story about Mr. Budd, a timid hairdresser in London who is having a hard time making a living. A great deal of his money was used to help his little brother, Richard , out of many troubles (which poor Mr. Budd blames himself for) that he got into. this includes sending Richard to Australia to try and start a new life. all this leaves Mr.Budd quite poor and all that he has left is his unsuccessful hair dressing store. After he had read a large reward for the capture of a criminal, a customer enters and asked Mr.Budd to shave and dye his his hair. It wasn't until Mr.Budd looked at the paper again to discover that the description in the paper matches his customer! What does Mr.Budd decide to do? Does he let the fellow go or does he run outside and sound the alarm? Find out in The inspiration of Mr.Budd.
This story doesn't have a lot of setting but I still enjoyed it. It is from a collection of detective story's chosen by Philip Pullman and has become one of my favorite detective story's on my bookshelf mainly because of the ending. :)
I like Dorothy Sayers. I'd like to read this story. I'm going to try to find it.
ReplyDeleteBut...who is Legend Reborn? I need to know who you are to give you participation credit!