Welcome to our blog!

Hello, www grammar experts, soon to become short story authors!

Remember to post at least once a week for the first four weeks' worth of assignments. I'm planning to read short stories and write my thoughts, as well.

I'm looking forward to reading all your observations!

Mrs. Wong

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Guests

It's a story called "Guests," and it's by Katherine Paterson, in a book of Christmas short stories called Angels and Other Strangers, which I recommend (Kurt - if you're interested, let me know. I have the Saline library copy checked out.)

The story all takes place in a small, dark sanctuary, in Japan, on Christmas Eve. But there are flashbacks to other times and places. (Hint:You can do this in your stories, too. Have the current action in your library/bookstore/coffee shop, while telling your reader background information from other times and places.)

The reader finds out the time and place of the story gradually as Paterson drops hints throughout the story. (Something else you can try in your stories.)

Paterson creates a setting with lots of contrasting details:

Fire and ice.
Silk wedding kimono and rags stuffed in windows.
A grieving and fearful pastor, an impoverished little girl, and a slick-booted, intimidating policeman.

She uses the setting of the story to create relevant and surprising connections with the setting of the birth of Jesus. (Hmm. How might the time and place of your story's setting be related to another time or place?)


2 comments:

  1. Ok, I'll check it out when you're done with it.
    Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome. I think that will be the next book I will check out.

    ReplyDelete